Sunday, February 6, 2011

Designer Spotlight: Brigitta Stoner


Brigitta Stoner, a senior jewelry and metal smithing major in the College of Visual and Performing Arts here at SU, was recently named one of 12 VPA Scholars, the school's highest undergraduate academic honor. The school's top seniors majoring in art, design and transmedia; communication and rhetorical studies; drama; and music were selected based on their academics, portfolio, and service to the college and community. The scholars will be recognized during VPA's annual convocation on March 14.

I caught up with the Aaronsburg, PA native in the jewelry studio to chat about her inspirations and future plans. Click through the slideshow to see some of Stoner's amazing work!


Q: Why or how did you get into jewelry making?
A: I have been making jewelry since elementary school. For years it was just simple beaded jewelry and to be honest, I think I liked collecting the beads more than stringing them together. Then when applying to college, I decided to pursue jewelry and metalsmithing with no knowledge of what it entailed. It still surprises me that I found what I love to do based on an impulsive decision. I guess it goes to show that your instinct is usually right.

Q: What inspires you?
A: Inspiration can come from anything at anytime. Mostly it's the natural world that provides my inspiration. A lot of breakthroughs happen for me when I'm taking a walk outside. Memories from my childhood in the countryside are also a huge theme in my work. But really, I can be inspired by anything. A painting, a beautiful book, an interesting film, or even conversation can spark some creative thought. Every inspiration may not appear in a final piece but it's all recorded either somewhere in a sketchbook or in my mind.

Q:  What is your favorite type of jewelry to make?
A: Right now brooches are my favorite things to make. There is something sweet and nostalgic about a brooch.

Q: You interned at Lucky during your winter break, what did you think of the experience?
A: Lucky was an eye opener for me. I never worked for a company with more than six employees before so it was really interesting to learn how a large business operates and to see so many people working together for one goal. I was working in the accessories department which meant I got to see a lot of jewelry and learn a bit about production jewelry. I am so fortunate to have had the experience.

Q:  Any future plans?
A: For the immediate future I'm planning my senior show, an exhibition of my jewelry. (The time, date, and location are TBA.) After graduation in May, my plans are less clear. I plan to be in graduate school in two to three years for a Master's of Fine Arts in jewelry. In the meantime, I'm trying to find meaningful work to fill those in-between years. I'm planning on continuing my jewelry work and I would love to work for another artist.





1 comment:

  1. In kurulus osman season 3 in hindi Turgut realizes that the only solution is to run away and runs away with Kosses. Nikola begins to follow them into the forest. Turgut asks Kosses to return to his castle and bring soldiers to save kurulus osman season 3 in hindi. After a long war, the Mongols capture Osman. Nikola captures Turgut, but Kosses and his soldiers rescue him. Geyhatu says Osman will die soon and takes him away. Bala and Malhun ask the Beys for support to kurulus osman season 3 in hindi.
    Geyhatu says the horses will run over the Turks. Osman says he is not afraid of death and waits for Geyhatu’s arrival. Alemshah realizes that Osman’s wives are trying to do something secretly and asks Gunduz to do something about it urgently. Gunduz agrees to banish Bala and Malhun from the tribe. Kosses attacks the Mongols with thenew soldiers he brought from the castle. Turgut uses this opportunity and saves Osman’s life kurulus osman season 3 in hindi.
    Go and Watch the Latest Episode kurulus osman season 3 in hindi.
    Only on our kurulus osman season 3 in hindi.

    ReplyDelete